|Title:||Positive psychological capital, market orientation, and business performance of family business in the culinary sector: A research study|
Vol. 13, No 3, 2020
Published date: 09-2020 (print) / 09-2020 (online)
Economics & Sociology
ISSN: 2071-789X, eISSN: 2306-3459
Universitas Negeri Makassar
Chalid Imran Musa
Universitas Negeri Makassar
Universitas Negeri Makassar
Universitas Negeri Makassar
Universitas Negeri Makassar
|Keywords:||positive psychological capital, market orientation, business performance, Indonesia|
|JEL classification:||D21, D22, M10, M21|
This study aims to determine the effect of positive psychological capital and market orientation on the performance of the culinary sector family business. The unit of analysis in this study was 121 culinary sector family businesses in Makassar, South Sulawesi Province, Indonesia, which were determined by purposive proportional random sampling. The statistical testing method was used to analyze the various problems associated with the hypothesis. This is to enable further generalization using the partial least square (PLS) analysis which includes designing structural (inner model) and measurement models (outer model), constructing diagram path, and making conversion path diagram to the system of equations, as well as the estimation, evaluation of the goodness of fit, and hypothesis testing. The result showed that positive psychological capital and market orientation have a significant influence on the performance of the culinary sector family business.
1. Alejandro, E., L. Sánchez-Peinado, & E. Sánchez-Peinado. (2008). Moderating influences on the firm's strategic orientation - performance relationship. International Small Business Journal, 26(4), 463-489.
2. Alkali, M., & Isa, A. H. (2012). Assessing the influence of external environmental factors, on the performance of small business manufacturing enterprises in Bauchi States Nigeria. Interdisciplinary Journal of Contemporary Research in Business, 4(7), 621-
3. Avey, J. B., Luthans, F., Smith, R. M., & Palmer, N. F. (2010). Impact of positive psychological capital on employee well-being over time. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 15(1), 17-28.
4. Baluku, M. M., Kikooma, J. F., Bantu, E., & Otto, K. (2018). Psychological capital and entrepreneurial outcomes: the moderating role of social competences of owners of micro-enterprises in East Africa. Journal of Global Entrepreneurship Research, 8(26), 1
5. Barney, J. B. (2001). Is the resource-based view a useful perspective for strategic management research? Yes. Academy of Management Review, 26(1), 41-56.
6. Boohene, R., Agyapong, D., & Asomaning, R. A. (2012). Micro level analysis of the market orientation-Small business financial performance nexus. American International Journal of Contemporary Research, 2(1), 31-43.
7. Culbertson, S. S., Fullagar, C. J., & Mills, M. J. (2010). Feeling good and doing great: The relationship between psychological capital and well-being. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 15(4), 421-433.
8. Dawes, J. (2000). Market orientation and company profitability: Further evidence incorporating longitudinal data. Australian Journal of Management, 25(2), 173-199.
9. Erävala, K. T., Henttonen, K., & Lampela, H. (2019). Entrepreneurial competencies in successfully innovative SMEs. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business, 38(3), 251-276.
10. Ferrari, F. (2020). Exploring the side effects of socio-emotional wealth: A multilevel analysis approach to the dysfunctional dynamics in family business succession. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business, 40(1), 128-146.
11. Frank, H., Kessler, A., Bachner, C., Fuetsch, E., & Suess-Reyes, J. (2019). Principles for innovation management in family firms: An analysis of long-term successful good practices with a practitioner validation of the principles. Journal of Family Busine
12. Gedajlovic, E., Carney, M., Chrisman, J. J., & Kellermanns, F. W. (2012). The adolescence of family firm research: Taking stock and planning for the Future. Journal of Management, 38(4), 1010-1037.
13. Geisser, S. (1974). A predictive approach to the random effect model. Biometrika, 61(1), 101-107.
14. Gorgievski, M. J., Bakker, A., & Schaufeli, W. B. (2010). Work engagement and workaholism: comparing the self-employed and salaried employees. The Journal of Positive Psychology, 5(1), 83-96.
15. Hair, J. F., Ringle, C. M., & Sarstedt, M. (2013). Editorial-partial least squares structural equation modeling: Rigorous applications, better results and higher acceptance. Long Range Planning, 46(1-2), 1-12.
16. Higginson, N. (2010). Preparing the next generation for the family business: relational factors and knowledge transfer in mother to daughter succession. Journal of Management and Marketing research, 4(1),1-18.
17. Hmieleski, K. M., & Carr, J.C. (2007). The relationship between entrepreneur psychological capital and well-being. Frontiers of Entrepreneurship Research, 27(5), 1-12.
18. Jaiyeoba, O. O. (2014). Performance outcome of market orientation behaviors among Bostwana’s small servive firms. Journal of Management Research, 6(1), 52-69.
19. Jaworski, B., & Kohli, A. (1993). Market orientation: Antecedents and consequences. Journal of Marketing, 57(3), 53-70.
20. Jiménez, D. J., Valle, R. S., & Caballero, J. A. P. (2020). Entrepreneurial orientation and innovation success in family firms. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business, 40(1), 114-127.
21. Keelson, A. S. (2012). A quantitative study of market orientation and organizational performance of listed companies: Evidence from Ghana. International Journal of Management and Marketing Research, 5(3), 101-114.
22. Kirca, A. H., Jayachandran, S., & Bearden, W. O. (2005). Market orientation: A meta-analytic review and assessment of its antecedents and impact on performance. Journal of Marketing, 69(2), 24-41.
23. Kohli, A. K., & Jaworski, B. J. (1990). Marketing orientation: The construct, research propositions and managerial implications. Journal of Marketing, 54(2), 1-18.
24. Kushins, E. R., & Behounek, E. (2020). Using sociological theory to problematize family business research. Journal of Family Business Strategy, 11(1), 1-9.
25. Lauto, G., Pittino, D., & Visintin, F. (2020) Satisfaction of entrepreneurs: A comparison between founders and family business successors. Journal of Small Business Management, 58(3), 474-510.
26. Lazzarotti, V., Gjergji, R., & Visconti, F. (2020). Socio-emotional wealth and innovativeness in Italian family firms: what happens when the leader is a latest-generation member?. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business, 40(1), 54-82.
27. Liao, S. H., Chang, W. J., Wu, C. C., & Katrichis, J. M. (2011). A survey of market orientation research (1995-2008). Industrial Marketing Management, 40(2), 301-310.
28. Lings, I. N., & Greenley, G. E. (2009). The impact of internal and external market orientations on firm performance. Journal of Strategic Management, 17(1), 41-53.
29. Luthans, F., Luthans, K. W., & Luthans, B. C. (2004). Positive psychological capital: Beyond human and social capital. Business Horizon, 47(1), 45-50.
30. Luthans, F., Youssef, C. M., & Rawski, S. L. (2011). A tale of two paradigms: The impact of psychological capital and reinforcing feedback on problem solving and innovation. Journal of Organizational Behavior Management, 31(4), 333-350.
31. Luthans, F., Youssef, C. M., & Avolio, B. J. (2015). Psychological capital and beyond. Oxford University Press. Madison Avenue: New York.
32. Luthans, F., & Youssef-Morgan, C. M. (2017). Psychological capital: An evidence-based positive approach. Annual Review of Organizational Psychology and Organizational Behavior, 4(1), 339-366.
33. Memili, E., Welsh, D. H. B., & Kaciak, E. (2014). Organizational psychological capital of family franchise firms through the lens of the leader-member exchange theory. Journal of Leadership & Organizational Studies, 21(2), 200-209.
34. Miller, D., & Le Breton-Miller, I., (2005). Management insights from great and struggling family businesses. Long Range Planning, 38(6), 517-530.
35. Musa, C. I. and Hasan, M. (2018). The influence of social, economic, and demographic characteristic on working hours of micro, small, and medium enterprises (MSMEs) in Makassar City. Journal of Physics: Conference Series 1028 (2018)012181.
36. Pelham, A. M. (2000). Market orientation and other potential influences in performance in small and medium-sized manufacturing firms. Journal of Small Business Management, 38(1), 48-67.
37. Pelham, A. M., & Wilson, D. T. (2001). A longitudinal study on the impact of market structure, firm structure, strategy, and market orientation culture on dimensions of small - firm performance. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 24(1), 27-43.
38. Peterson, S.J., Luthans, F., Avolio, B.J., Walumbwa, F.O., & Zhang, Z. (2011). Psychological capital and employee performance: Latent growth modeling approach. Personnel Psychology, 64(2), 427-450.
39. Pett, T. L., Wolff, J. A., Heileman, M. D. (2019). Family business learning and performance. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business, 38(1/2), 165-176.
40. Poza, E. J. (2007). The family business, 2nd ed. Eagan MN: Thomson South-Western.
41. Pradhan, R. K., Jena, L. K., & Bhattacharya, P. (2016). Impact of psychological capital on organizational citizenship behavior: Moderating role of emotional intelligence. Cogent Business & Management, 3(1), 1-16.
42. Rau, S. B., Werner, A., & Schellc, S. (2019). Psychological ownership as a driving factor of innovation in older family firms. Journal of Family Business Strategy, 10(4). 1-13.
43. Rego, A., Sousa, F., Marques, C., & Cunha, M. P. (2012). Authentic leadership promoting employees’ psychological capital and creativity. Journal of Business Research, 65(3), 429-437.
44. Reinartz, W., Haenlein, M., & Henseler, J. (2009). An empirical comparison of the efficacy of covariance-based and variance-based SEM. International Journal of Research in Marketing, 26(4), 332-344.
45. Salmon, U., & Allman, K. (2019). Innovation in family firms: an empirical taxonomy of owners using a mixed methods approach. Journal of Family Business Management, 10 (1), 20-39.
46. Sekaran, U. (2000). Research method for bussiness, 3rd edition. New York: John Wiley & Sons Inc.
47. Seligman, M. E. P., & Csikszentmihalyi, M. (2000). Positive psychology. American Psychologist, 55(1), 5-14.
48. Simoes, N., Crespo, N., & Moreira, S. B. (2016). Individual determinants of self-employment entry: What do we really know? Journal of Economic Surveys, 30(4), 783-806.
49. Sirková, M., Ali Taha, V., & Ferencová, M. (2014). An analytical study on organizational creativity: Implications for management. Polish Journal of Management Studies, 10(2), 179-187.
50. Soares, M. d. C., & Perin, M. G. (2019). Entrepreneurial orientation and firm performance: an updated meta-analysis. RAUSP Management Journal, 55(2), 143-159.
51. Srivastava, P., & Srivastava, D. K. (2019). Resource-based theory and SMEs internationalisation: evidences from Indian firms. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business (IJESB), 37(3), 364-398.
52. Stone, M. (1975). Cross-validatory choice and assessment of statistical predictions. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series B, 36(2), 111-133.
53. Sweetman, D., Luthans, F., Avey, J. B., & Luthans, B. C. (2011). Relationship between positive psychological capital and creative performance. Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences, 28(1), 4-13.
54. Williams Jr, R. I., Pieper, T., Kellermanns, F., and Astrachan, J. (2019). Applying an organizational effectiveness approach to measure family business performance. Journal of Family Business Management, 9(3), 349-374.
55. Zainal, H., Parinsi, K.W., Hasan, M., Said, F., and Akib, H. (2018). The Influence of Strategic Assets and Market Orientation to the Performance of Family Business in Makassar City, Indonesia. Academy of Strategic Management Journal, 17(6), 1-9.
56. Zhao, H., Seibert, S. E., & Lumpkin, G. T. (2010). The relationship of personality to entrepreneurial intentions and performance: A meta-analytic review. Journal of Management, 36(2), 381-404.