Economics & SociologyISSN: 2071-789X eISSN: 2306-3459 DOI: 10.14254/2071-789X
Index PUBMS: f5512f57-a601-11e7-8f0e-080027f4daa0
|Title:||Micro businesses participation in public procurement: Evidence from Ukraine|
Vol. 12, No 3, 2019
Published date: 09-2019 (print) / 09-2019 (online)
Economics & Sociology
ISSN: 2071-789X, eISSN: 2306-3459
Odessa National Economic University
Rzeszow University of Technology
|Keywords:||public procurement, private entrepreneurs, open tenders, competitive procedures, ProZorro|
|JEL classification:||H57, L26, M21|
The purpose of this study is to test 3 hypotheses concerning the participation of private entrepreneurs in a procurement made via Ukrainian online public procurement system ProZorro. The research based on the ProZorro professional analytics module which is an online instrument for aggregation, sorting and other processing of machine-readable data on public procurement in Ukraine and uses data as of 2017 (the first year of ProZorro operations). The article uses the methods of systematic scientific literature analysis, general and logical analysis, comparison, summation and abstraction as well as mathematical and statistical processing methods. Situation analysis is based on the data of ProZorro professional analytics module and the State Statistics Service of Ukraine and the results of statistical calculations. The first hypothesis suggests that private entrepreneurs are most active in sub-threshold (small) procurement procedures and this hypothesis was refuted by the results of the study. We found that private entrepreneurs are the full-scale participants of competitive procurement procedures and are actively involved in over-threshold (large) competitive procedures. The second hypothesis assumes that participation of private entrepreneurs in public procurement would increase the competitiveness of procurement procedures, and this has been fully confirmed by the obtained results. The third hypothesis concerns territorial localization of private entrepreneurs' activities. It was suggested that private entrepreneurs are more active locally, i.e. more involved to the procurement procedures conducted by government authorities within their own region, and this hypothesis has been confirmed only for the simplest procurement procedures namely contract reporting.
1. Commission of the European Communities. (2008). Commission staff working document. European Code of Best Practices Facilitating Access by SMEs to Public procurement contracts. Retrieved from http://ec.europa.eu/DocsRoom/documents/15472/attachments/1/trans
2. Eßig, M., & Glas A. H. (2015). Considering Small and Medium-Sized Suppliers in Public Procurement – The Case of the German Defence Sector. In: D. Mattfeld, T. Spengler, J. Brinkmann, M. Grunewald, ed. 2015. Logistics Management. Springer.
3. European Bank for Reconstruction and Development. (2017). Public Procurement Is open competition good for small and medium-sized enterprises? Retrieved from https://www.ebrd.com/documents/ogc/public-procurement-is-open-competition-good-for-smes.PDF
4. European Union. (2014). Directive 2014/24/EU of the European Union Parliament and of the Council of 26 February 2014 on public procurement and repealing Directive 2004/18/EC. Retrieved from https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=celex%3A32014
5. Hill, K. (2016). Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs) in Public Procurement. SIGMA Programme. Retrieved from http://www.sigmaweb.org/publications/Public-Procurement-Policy-Brief-33-200117.pdf
6. International Finance Corporation. (2010). Scaling-Up SME Access to Financial Services in the Developing World. Retrieved from http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/669161468140035907/pdf/948300WP0Box385443B00PUBLIC00ScalingUp.pdf.
7. Kolosok, S. I., Panchenko O. V., Iordanov А. А. (2017). The public procurement, tenders and g-cloud system: the case of Ukraine. Economics and Management of National Economy, 13, 202-209.
8. Legislation of Ukraine (2016a). Public Procurement Reform Strategy. Roadmap and the Action Plan. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/175-2016-%D1%80?lang=en.
9. Legislation of Ukraine. (2016b). The Law on Public Procurement. Retrieved from http://zakon3.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/922-19/page?lang=en.
10. Legislation of Ukraine. (2018). The Commercial Code of Ukraine. Retrieved from http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/436-15/page2?lang=en
11. Miniailo, O. I., Kostenko, A. M. (2016). Current state and development prospects of the electronic public procurement in Ukraine. Collection of Scientific Articles «University Economic Bulletin», 29/1, 135-144.
12. Olefir, A. О. (2017). Problems of public procurement in comparison with European experience. Theory and practice of law, 1 (11). Retrieved from http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/tipp_2017_1_7.
13. Plećić, K., Žižović, M., Marković M., & Đoković F. (2018). A multi-criteria approach to bid selection in public procurement. Industrija, 46(1), 7-19.
14. ProZorro. (2018). Professional analytics module. Retrieved from http://bipro.prozorro.org/.
15. ProZorro Public Procurement. (2018). About. Retrieved from https://ProZorro.gov.ua/en.
16. Romanenko, Y. O., & Shchokin, R. H. (2016). Reformation of the system of public procurement in Ukraine. Public Management, 4, 25-34.
17. Slijepčević, S. Budak, J., & Rajh, E. (2015). Challenging Competition at Public Procurement Markets: Are SMEs Too Big to Fail? The Case of BiH and Croatia. EIZ Working Papers. Retrieved from https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&
18. State Statistics Service of Ukraine. (2018a). Basic indicators activity of business entities with distribution on the subjects large, middle, small and micro-entrepreneurship. Retrieved from http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua.
19. State Statistics Service of Ukraine (2018b). Multidomain statistical information / Regional statistics. Retrieved from http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua.
20. Transparency International Ukraine. (2017). Reform of public procurements in Ukraine and performance results of ProZorro e-procuremment system. August-December 2016. Retrieved from https://knowledgehub.transparency.org/product/reform-of-public-procurement
21. Transparency International Ukraine (2018). Reform of public procurements in Ukraine and performance results of ProZorro e-procuremment system. July-December 2017. Retrieved from https://drive.google.com/file/d/13I3g7yHWHADRa93lMXfZzDsI25qCotCl/view.