|Title:||Generational Values of Generation Y: Survey of Ukrainian Senoir School Pupils and Students|
Vol. 10, No 3, 2017
Published date: 10-2017 (print) / 10-2017 (online)
Economics & Sociology
ISSN: 2071-789X, eISSN: 2306-3459
Simon Kuznets Kharkiv National University of Economics
|Keywords:||generation Y, generational values of generation Y, generational theory, M. Rokeach's approach, conflict of generations|
|JEL classification:||Z10, Z13|
The aim of this study is to evaluate the generational values of Ukrainian generation Y on the basis of evaluation, comparison and analysis of the generational values’ structure of the senior school pupils and students, using M. Rokeach's approach. In the questionnaire which was conducted during October-December 2016 in Kharkiv (Ukraine), two groups of respondents took part: senior pupils of the Kharkiv gymnasium #47 and students of the Simon Kuznets Kharkiv National University of Economics. As a result of the research, it was established that the dominant values in life of Ukrainian generation Y are family values (family creation, procreation, and care for parents). This generation is also focused on achieving significant success in business, self-development, career growth and goals achievement. The results of the study on the structure of values of generation Y will make it possible to develop recommendations concerning the adaptation of personnel management systems in accordance with the values’ profile of this generation that is now becoming part of adult population in Ukraine.
1. Blyznyuk, T., Ueberwimmer, M. (2016). Generational theory: Cross-cultural approach. Economics of development, 2(78), 44-48.
2. Debats, D. L.,Bartelds, B. F. (1996). The structure of human values: a principal components analysis of the Roheach Value Survey (RVS), available online at: https://numerons.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/02-analysis-of-the-rokeach-value-survey.pdf.
3. Dunaevskaja, E. B. (2008). Features of value orientations of senior schoolchildren in general and correctional schools. Izvestiya of the Russian State Pedagogical University named after A.I. Herzen, available online at: https://lib.herzen.spb.ru/media/mag
4. Ermolenko, A. (2015). Development of national educational space in the context of the achievements of generational theory. Journal of National University of Defense, 3(40), 82-87.
5. Galkina, G. A., Gribkova, E. I. (2013). Analysis of value orientations of students of a higher educational institution. Modern problems of science and education, 2, available online at: https://www.science-education.ru/ru/article/view?id=8779.
6. Gorbatova, M. M. & Ljahova, M. A. (2005). Studying the structure of students' values as a special stratification group. Bulletin of Kemerovo State University, 2(22), available online at: http://hpsy.ru/public/x2462.htm.
7. Howe, N., Strauss, W. (2007). The Next 20 years: how customer and workforce attitudes will evolve. Harvard Business Review, July-August, 41-52.
8. Isaeva, M. (2011). Crisis and rise generations. In: W. Strauss and N. Howe’s theory. Knowledge. Understanding. Skill, 3, 290-295.
9. Kirvas, V. (2014). Formation of information and communication competence of present-day students in light of their generation characteristics. Information processing systems, 2, 288-292.
10. Kostenko, I. (2013). Generational theory and portrait of a modern young professional. Independent auditor, 12(23), available online at: http://n-auditor.com.ua/ru/component/na_archive/870?view=material.
11. Lepeyko, T., Blyznyuk, T. (2016). Generational theory: value-oriented approach. Business inform, 11, 24-31.
12. Lepeyko, T., Blyznyuk, T. (2016). Profile of modern Ukrainian manager. Proceedings Cross-Cultural Business, Conference 2016, 19th-20th of May, School of Management, Steyr Campus, 256-266.
13. Leontiev, D. (1992). Methods of study of value orientations. Moscow: SENSE.
14. Rokeach, M. (1973). The nature of human values. New York: The Free Press.
15. Rokeach, M. (1979). Understanding human values: Individual and societal. New York : The Free Press.
16. Safiullina, L. Z., Zotkin, N. V. (2007). Manifestation of value orientations of anindividuality on the realized and unconscious levels. Psychological research, 5, 155-162.
17. Skrynko, N. V., Lozna, K. O. (2013). Valuable portrait of student youth. Economics of Crimea, 1, 151-155, available online at: http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/econkr_2013_1_32.
18. Soshyna, Iu. M. (2013). Values and value orientations in the value-semantic sphere of a teenager. Problems of modern psychology, 22, 530-539, available online at: http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/Pspl_2013_22_46.
19. Syumar, V. (2013). "The Third Wave", or the theory of generations in Ukrainian politics. Ukrainian true, available online at: http://www.pravda.com.ua/rus/articles/2013/10/7/6999421/?attempt=2.