|Title:||Pharmaceutical leadership in Ukraine: Transformational and transactional|
Vol. 11, No 4, 2018
Published date: 12-2018 (print) / 12-2018 (online)
Economics & Sociology
ISSN: 2071-789X, eISSN: 2306-3459
Bogomolets National Medical University
|Keywords:||transformational and transactional leadership, pharmacies, pharmaceutical organizations, Ukraine|
|JEL classification:||D23, M19, M54|
The article is devoted to the analysis of B. Bass’s transformational and transactional leadership factors on the example of pharmacies and pharmaceutical organizations of Ukraine. Based on the survey results through the Multifactor Leadership Questionnaire (MLQ) for managers and employees of the organizations mentioned, the application peculiarities of transformational, transactional and laissez-faire leadership in managing Ukrainian pharmacies and pharmaceutical organizations are researched. It was found out that the managers appreciated more their leadership qualities: the highest score related to the transactional leadership factor of a contingent reward, while the employees noted that their managers most often used such a transactional leadership factor as the management-by-exception (active). Research and practical recommendations as to the application of transformational, transactional and laissez-faire leadership principles in Ukrainian pharmaceutical organizations are proposed.
1. Aliekperova, N. (2018). Motivating factors effecting work efficiency of employees in Ukrainian pharmaceutical sector. Economics and Sociology, 11(1), 61- 74.
2. Avolio, B. J. (1999). Full leadership development. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
3. Avolio, B. J., Bass, B. M., & Jung, D. I. (1999). Re-examining the components of transformational and transactional leadership using the Multifactor Leadership Questionnaire. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 72, 441–462.
4. Aydogdu, S., Asikgil, B. (2011). The Effect of Transformational Leadership Behavior on Organizational Culture: An Application in Pharmaceutical Industry. International Review of Management and Marketing, 1(4), 65-73.
5. Bass, B. M., & Avolio, B. J. (1994). Improving organizational effectiveness through transformational leadership. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
6. Bass, B. M. (1985). Leadership and performance beyond expectations. New York: Free Press.
7. Bass, B. M. (1990) From transactional to transformational leadership: Learning to share the vision. Organizational Dynamics, 18, 19–31.
8. Bennis, W.G., & Nanus, B. (1985). Leaders: The strategy for taking charge. New York: Harper&Row.
9. Bhattacherjee, A. (2012). Social Science Research: Principles, Methods, and Practices. Textbooks Collection. 3. Retrieved from http://scholarcommons.usf.edu/oa_textbooks/3
10. Burns, J. M. (1978). Leadership. New York: Harper&Row.
11. EvaluatePharma World Preview 2017. (2017). Retrieved July 04, 2018, from http://www.evaluate.com/PharmaWorldPreview2017.
12. García-Morales, V. J., Matías-Reche, F., & Hurtado-Torres, N. (2008). Influence of transformational leadership on organizational innovation and performance depending on the level of organizational learning in the pharmaceutical sector. Journal of Organiza
13. Gryazeva-Dobshinskaya, V. G., & Dmitrieva, Yu. A. (2014). Structure leadership of managers: Results of empirical research (Struktura liderstva menedgerov: resultati empiricheskogo issledovaniya). Bulletin of the South Ural State University, 7(4), 5-12 (ru
14. Heifetz, R., Grashow, A., & Linsky, M. (2009). The practice of adaptive leadership: Tools and tactics for changing your organization and the world. Boston, Mass.: Harvard Business Press.
15. Herzberg, F. (2003). One more time: How do you motivate employees. Harvard Business Review, 81, 86-96.
16. House, R. J. (1976). A 1976 theory of charismatic leadership. In J. G. Hunt & L. L. Larson (Eds.), Leadership: The cutting edge (pp. 189–207). Carbondale, IL: South Illinois University Press.
17. Judge, T.A., & Piccolo, R.F. (2004). Transformational and transactional leadership: A meta-analytic test of their relative validity. Journal of Applied Psychology, 89(5), 755–768.
18. Jung, D.I., Chow, C., & Wu, A. (2003). The role of transformational leadership in enhancing organizational innovation: Hypotheses and some preliminary findings. The Leadership Quarterly, 14, 525 – 544.
19. Korniyenko, O. M., Horodetska, I. Ya., Levytska, O. R., & Yunikov, R. S. (2008). Aspects of provisors’ professional motivation and prestige factors of higher educational establishments (Aspekti professiynoi motivatzii provisoriv chinniki prestigu visshih
20. Kouzes, J.M., & Posner, B.C. (1987). The leadership challenge: How to get extraordinary things done in organizations. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
21. Kouzes, J.M., & Posner, B.C. (2002). The leadership challenge (3-th ed.) San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
22. Kumar, R. (2011). Research Methodology: A Step-by-Step Guide for Beginners. 3rd Edition. Sage, New Delhi.
23. Lowe, K. B., Kroeck, K. G., & Sivasubramaniam, N. (1996). Effectiveness correlates of transformation and transactional leadership: A metaanalytic review of the MLQ literature. Leadership Quarterly, 7, 385– 425.
24. Nemanich, L.A., & Keller, R.T. (2007). Transformational leadership in an acquisition: A field study of employees. Leadership Quarterly, 18, 49–68.
25. Nemchenko, A. S., Yurchenko, G. M, & Jirova, I. V. (2011). The analysis of motivational principles of personnel management of the pharmaceutical organization (Analiz motivaziynich prinzipiv upravlinya personalom pharmacevticheskoy organizacii). Management
26. Northouse, P.G. (2015). Leadership: Theory and practice (7-th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
27. Paulsen, N., Callan, V.J., Ayoko, O., & Saunders, D. (2013). Transformational leadership and innovation in an R&D organization experiencing major change. Journal of Organizational Change Management, 26(3), 595-610.
28. Rabia, I., Afsheen, F., & Abaid, R. (2009). Transformational leadership and organizational innovation: Moderated by organizational size. African Journal of Business Management, 3(11), 678-684.
29. Rowold, J., & Heinitz, K. (2007). Transformational and charismatic leadership: Assessing the convergent, divergent and criterion validity of the MLQ and the CKS. Leadership Quarterly, 18, 121–133.
30. Ryan, R.M., & Deci, E.L. (2000). Self-determination theory and the facilitation of intrinsic motivation, social development, and well-being. American Psychologist, 55(1), 68-78.
31. Sagnak, M., Kuruoz, M., Polat, B, & Soylu, A. (2015). Transformational leadership and innovative climate: An examination of the mediating effect of psychological empowerment. Eurasian Journal of Educational Research, 60, 149-162.
32. Senge, P., Kleiner, A., Roberts, C., Roth, G., & Ross, R. (1999). The dance of change: The Challenges of Sustaining the Learning Organization. Doubleday, New York.
33. Teterich, N.V. (2015). Scientific ground of basic going near motivation of pharmaceutical workers (Naukove obgruntuvannya osnovnih pidhodiv do motivatzii pharmazevtichnih prazivnikiv). Pharmaceutical review, 3, 44-47 (ukr).
34. Tracey, J. B., & Hinkin, T. R. (1998). Transformational leadership or effective managerial practices? Group & Organization Management, 23, 220–236.
35. Tututchenko, O.V., Pestun, I.V., & Mnushko, Z.N. (2010). Pharmacists’ motivation as the constituent of strategic plan realization of a pharmacy enterprise (Motyvatziya provisiriv yak skladova realizacii strategichnogo planu aptechnogo pidpriyemstva). Vest
36. Xenikou, A. (2017). Transformational Leadership, Transactional Contingent Reward, and Organizational Identification: The Mediating Effect of Perceived Innovation and Goal Culture Orientations. Frontiers of Psychology, 8, 1754.
37. Walliman, N. (2006). Social research methods. London: SAGE publications.
38. Zwingmann, I., Wegge, J., Wolf, S., Rudolf, M., Schmidt, M., & Richter, P. (2014). Is transformational leadership healthy for employees? A multilevel analysis in 16 nations. German Journal of Research in Human Resource Management, 28(1-2), 24-51.