|Title:||Effects of business to business e-commerce adoption on competitive advantage of small and medium-sized manufacturing enterprises|
Vol. 12, No 1, 2019
Published date: 03-2019 (print) / 03-2019 (online)
Economics & Sociology
ISSN: 2071-789X, eISSN: 2306-3459
School of Finance and Economics, Jiangsu University
Ocloo Chosniel Elikem
School of Finance and Economics, Jiangsu University
College of Agriculture and Natural Sciences, University of Cape Coast
|Keywords:||B2B e-commerce adoption, competitive advantage, SMEs, Ghana|
|JEL classification:||L21, M15|
|This research supported by the Humanities, Social Science Foundation of the Ministry of Education, China, under Grant [number 16YJC790031]; and National Social Science Foundation of China, under Grant [number 18BJY105].|
Business-to-business (B2B) e-commerce adoption has experienced rapid growth in recent times and has become one of the fastest technology adoptions among small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in gaining and sustaining competitive advantage. A firm’s resource endowments influence its B2B e-commerce adoption levels that lead to competitive advantage being gained in proportion to that level of adoption. A questionnaire survey was used to collect data for this research, 315 usable responses were obtained from owners and managers of small and medium-sized manufacturing firms in Ghana. This research uses structural equation modelling to examine how different levels of B2B e-commerce adoption affects different types of competitive advantage. The main finding is that SMEs can achieve cost reduction that helps them save on costs in their operational activities through higher levels of B2B e-commerce adoption. Implications of the research, its limitations and directions for future research are also discussed.
1. Abdelkader, B., & Abed, B. (2016). The effect of information technology on competitive advantage of firm: The role of environmental uncertainty. The International Journal of Management Science and Information Technology (IJMSIT), (22), 16-39.
2. Abou-Shouk, M., Megicks, P., & Lim, W. M. (2013). Perceived benefits and E-commerce adoption by SME travel agents in developing countries: Evidence from Egypt. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research, 37(4), 490. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/10963480124425
3. Al-Ghamdi, R., Alfarraj, O., & Bahadad, A. (2014). "How Retailers at different stages of E-commerce Maturity evaluates their entry to E-commerce activities". Journal of Computer Science and Information Technology, 2(2), 37-71.
4. Al-Somali, Gholami, R., & Clegg, B. (2011). Determinants of B2B e-commerce adoption in Saudi Arabian firms. International Journal of Digital Society (IJDS), 2(2), 406-415.
5. Andrew, L., & Ab Malik, A. M. (2016). Information Technology and Competitive Advantages Among Small and Medium Enterprises in Malaysian Tourism Industry. Paper presented at the Proceedings of the 1st AAGBS International Conference on Business Management 2
6. Awiagah, R., Kang, J., & Lim, J. I. (2016). Factors affecting e-commerce adoption among SMEs in Ghana. Information Development, 32(4), 815-836. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0266666915571427
7. Beck, R., Wigand, R., & Konig, W. (2005). The diffusion and efficient use of electronic commerce among small and medium-sized enterprises: An international three-industry survey. Electronic Markets, 15(1), 38 -52. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/101967805000352
8. Belton, P. (2017). Competitive Strategy: Creating and Sustaining Superior Performance: Macat Library.
9. Benitez, J., Llorens, J., & Fernandez, V. (2015). IT impact on talent management and operational environmental sustainability. Information Technology & Management, 16(3), 207 -220.
10. Bhatt, G., Emdad, A., Roberts, N., & Grover, V. (2010). Building and leveraging information in dynamic environments: The role of IT infrastructure flexibility as enabler of organizational responsiveness and competitive advantage. Information & Management,
11. Bhatt, G.D., Wang, Z., & Rodger, J. A. (2017). Information Systems Capabilities and Their Effects on Competitive Advantages: A Study of Chinese Companies. Information Resources Management Journal (IRMJ), 30(3), 41-57.
12. Bingley, S., & Burgess, S. (2012). A case analysis of the adoption of Internet applications by local sporting bodies in New Zealand. International Journal of Information Management, 32(1), 11-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2011.05.001
13. Breznik, L. (2012). Can information technology be a source of competitive advantage? Economic and Business Review for Central and South-Eastern Europe, 14(3), 251.
14. Byrd, T. A., & Turner, D. E. (2001). An exploratory examination of the relationship between flexible IT infrastructure and competitive advantage. Information & Management, 39(1), 41-52. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7206(01)00078-7
15. Chen, J., & McQueen, R. (2008). An analysis of adoption motivators and inhibitors. Journal of Global Information Management, 16(null), 26. http://dx.doi.org/10.4018/JGIM
16. Chin. W.W. (2010). How to write up and report PLS analyses. In Handbook of partial least squares. New York: Springer.
17. Elbeltagi, I., Hamad, H., Moizer, J., & Abou-Shouk, M. A. (2016). Levels of Business to Business E-Commerce Adoption and Competitive Advantage in Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises: A Comparison Study Between Egypt and the United States. Journal of Global
18. Farrell, A. M. (2010). Insufficient discriminant validity: A comment on Bove, Pervan, Beatty, and Shiu (2009). Journal of Business Research, 63(3), 324-327.
19. Fornell, C. & Larcker, D. F. (1981). Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error. Journal of Marketing Research, 39-50.
20. Gebauer, H. & Schober, F. (2006). Information system flexibility and the cost efficiency of business processes. Journal of the Association for Information Systems, 7(3), 122 - 147.
21. Ghobakhloo, M., Arias-Aranda, D., & Benitez-Amado, J. (2011). Adoption of e-commerce applications in SMEs. Industrial Management & Data Systems, 111(8), 1238-1269. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/02635571111170785
22. Guarda, T., Augusto, M., & Silva, C. (2012). Competitive Advantage in e-Commerce: The Case of Database Marketing. In M. Zhu (Ed.), Business, Economics, Financial Sciences, and Management (pp. 123-130). Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
23. Hair, J.F., Hult, G. T. M., Ringle, C., & Sarstedt, M. (2016). A primer on partial least squares structural equation modelling (PLS-SEM): Sage Publications.
24. Hair, J.F., Ringle, C. M., & Sarstedt, M. (2011). PLS-SEM: Indeed a silver bullet. Journal of Marketing theory and Practice, 19(2), 139-152. http://dx.doi.org/10.2753/MTP1069-6679190202
25. Hair, Sarstedt, Ringle, & Mena. (2012). An assessment of the use of partial least squares structural equation modelling in Marketing research. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 40(3), 414 -433.
26. Hamad, H., Elbeltagi, I., & El‐Gohary, H. (2018). An empirical investigation of business‐to‐business e‐commerce adoption and its impact on SMEs competitive advantage: The case of Egyptian manufacturing SMEs. Strategic Change, 27(3), 209-229. http://dx.do
27. Hazen, B. T., & Byrd, T. A. (2012). Toward creating competitive advantage with logistics information technology. International Journal of Physical Distribution & Logistics Management, 42(1), 8-35. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/09600031211202454
28. Henseler, J., Dijkstra, T. K., Sarstedt, M., Ringle, C. M., Diamantopoulos, A., Straub, D. W., … Calantone, R. J. (2014). Common beliefs and reality about PLS comments on Rönkkö and Evermann (2013). Organizational Research Methods, 17(2), 182-209.
29. Henseler, J., Hubon, G., & Ray, A. P. (2016). "Using PLS path modelling in new technology research: updated guidelines". Industrial Management & Data Systems, 116(1), 2-20. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/IMDS-09-2015-0382
30. Henseler, J., Ringle, C. M., & Sinkovics, R. R. (2009). The use of partial least squares path modelling in international marketing. Advances in International Marketing, 20(1), 277-319. http://doi.org/10.1108/S1474-7979(2009)0000020014
31. Krell, & Matook. (2009). Competitive advantage from mandatory investments: An empirical study of Australian firms. The Journal of Strategic Information Systems, 18(1), 31- 45. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jsis.2008.12.001
32. Lederer, Mirchandani, D. A., & Sims, K. (1997). The link between information strategy and electronic commerce. Journal of Organizational Computing and Electronic Commerce, 7(1), 17-34. http://dx.doi.org/10.1207/s15327744joce0701_2
33. Lefebvre, L.-A., Lefebvre, É., Elia, E., & Boeck, H. (2005). Exploring B-to-B e-commerce adoption trajectories in manufacturing SMEs. Technovation, 25(12), 1443-1456. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2005.06.011
34. Lip-Sam, T., & Hock-Eam, L. (2011). Estimating the determinants of B2B e-commerce adoption among small & medium enterprises. International Journal of Business and Society, 12(1), 15.
35. Lumpkin, G., Droege, S. B., & Dess, G. G. (2002). E-commerce strategies: achieving sustainable competitive advantage and avoiding pitfalls. Organizational Dynamics, 30(4), 325-340. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0090-2616(02)00065-7
36. Marinagi, C., Trivellas, P., & Sakas, D. P. (2014). The Impact of Information Technology on the Development of Supply Chain Competitive Advantage. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 147, 586-591. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.07.161
37. Molla, A., & Licker, P. S. (2005). E-commerce adoption in developing countries: a model and instrument. Information & Management, 42(6), 877-899. Moraisa, E. P., Piresa, J. A., & Gonçalvesb, R. M. (2012). E-Business Maturity: Constraints associated with t
38. N'Da, K., Bergeron, F., & Raymond, L. (2008). Achieving advantages from business-to-business electronic commerce: an empirical validation of an integrative framework. International Journal of Electronic Business, 6(5), 516-549. http://dx.doi.org/10.1504/
39. OECD. (2012). Financing SMEs and entrepreneurs. An OECD scoreboard. Paris: Organisation of Economic and Co-operation Development.
40. Pavic, S., Koh, S. C. L., Simpson, M., & Padmore, J. (2007). Could e‐business create a competitive advantage in UK SMEs? Benchmarking: An International Journal, 14(3), 320-351. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/14635770710753112
41. Pilinkiene, V., Kurschus, R.-J., & Auskalnyte, G. (2013). E-business as a source of competitive advantage. Economics and Management, 18(1), 77-85.
42. Porter, M. (1985). Competitive advantage: Creating and sustaining superior performance. New York, NY: Free Press.
43. Rahayu, R., & Day, J. (2017). E-commerce adoption by SMEs in developing countries: evidence from Indonesia. Eurasian Business Review, 7(1), 25-41.
44. Rao, S., Metts, G., & Mora Monge, C. A. (2003). Electronic commerce development in small and medium sized enterprises: A stage model and its implications. Business Process Management Journal, 9(1), 11-32.
45. Ringle, C. M., Wende, S., & Becker, J. M. (2015). SmartPLS 3.
46. Scupola. A. (2003). The adoption of Internet commerce by SMEs in the South of Italy: An environmental, technological and organizational perspective. Journal of Global Information Technology Management, 6(1), 57-71. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1097198X.2003.
47. Seongbae, L., & Silvana, T. (2014). Impact of Information Technology Infrastructure Flexibility on the Competitive Advantage of Small and Medium Sized-Enterprises. Journal of Business & Management, 3(1), 01-12. http://dx.doi.org/10.12735/jbm.v3i1p1
48. Sila, I. (2013). Factors affecting the adoption of B2B e-commerce technologies. Electronic Commerce Research, 13(2), 199-236. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10660-013-9110-7
49. Teo, & Pian. (2003). A contingency perspective on Internet adoption and competitive advantage. European Journal of Information Systems, 12(2), 78-92. http://dx.doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.ejis.3000448
50. Teo, T.S.H. & Ranganathan, C. (2004). Adopters and non-adopters of business-to-business electronic commerce in Singapore. Information & Management, 42(1), 89-102.
51. Triandini, E., Djunaidy, A., & Siahaan, D. (2017). A maturity model for e-commerce adoption by small and medium enterprises in Indonesia. Journal of Electronic Commerce in Organizations (JECO), 12(1), 44-58
52. Wagner, S. M. (2006). A firm's responses to deficient suppliers and competitive advantage. Journal of Business Research, 59(6), 686-695. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2006.01.006
53. Wong, C.Y, & Karia, N. (2010). Explaining the competitive advantage of logistics service providers: A resource-based view approach. International Journal of Production Economics, 128(1), 51 -67.
54. Xu, J., & Quaddus, M. (2013). Information systems for competitive advantages Managing Information Systems (pp. 27-40): Springer.
55. Zandi, F. (2013). A Country-Level Decision Support Framework for Self-Assessment of E-Commerce Maturity. iBusiness, 5(2), 43 -54.