|Title:||Impacts of Knowledge Management on Innovation in Higher Education Institutions: An Empirical Evidence from Vietnam|
Vol. 11, No 3, 2018
Published date: 09-2018 (print) / 09-2018 (online)
Economics & Sociology
ISSN: 2071-789X, eISSN: 2306-3459
Tomas Bata University in Zlin
Tomas Bata University in Zlin
|Keywords:||knowledge management, innovation, higher education institutions, public universities, Vietnam|
|JEL classification:||D83, O39, I23|
Knowledge management (KM) and innovation (INNO) are often defined as the key drivers for improvement of organizational performance. The purpose of this paper is to explore the impacts of KM on INNO in an academic environment. The results of this study are based on survey data collected during 2017 in 30 public universities equally located in 3 regions of Vietnam. Structural Equation Modelling (SEM) is used to test the hypothesized relationships between KM and INNO. The authors of this study have found that KM comprehensively impacts technical INNO in academic settings and that not all components of KM are directly associated with administrative INNO. Besides enriching the literatures on this rapport, this study is also of value in managerial perspective as it helps increase higher education institutions’ (HEIs) knowledge on how to boost their organisational innovativeness, and then enhance performance by engaging in KM activities. A list of measurement scales serving as a checklist for leadership of any HEI desire to practice KM and then boost organizational innovation is provided by this study.
1. Alipour, F., & Karimi, R. (2011). Mediation role of innovation and knowledge transfer in the relationship between learning organization and organizational performance. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 2(19), 144-147.
2. Alrawi, K.W. (2008). Knowledge management and organizations perception in the United Arab Emirates. International Journal of Commerce and Management, 18(4), 382-394.
3. Argote, L. (1999). Organizational Learning: Creating, Retaining and Transferring Knowledge, Norwell, MA: Kluwer.
4. Aramburu, N. & Sáenz, J. (2011). Structural capital, innovation capability, and size effect: An empirical study, Journal of Management and Organization, 17(3), 307-325.
5. Armbruster, Heidi, Bikfalvi, Andrea, Kinkel, Steffen, & Lay, Gunter. (2008). Organizational Innovation: The Challenge of Measuring Non-Technical Innovation in Large-Scale Surveys. Technovation, 28, 644-657.
6. Bagozzi, R. P., & Yi, Y. (1991). Multitrait-multimethod matrices in consumer research. Journal of consumer research, 17(4), 426-439.
7. Bierly III, P. E., & Daly, P. S. (2007). Alternative knowledge strategies, competitive environment, and organizational performance in small manufacturing firms. Entrepreneurship theory and practice, 31(4), 493-516.
8. Bollen, K. A. (1989). Structural equations with latent variables. New York, NY: John Wiley, 1989.
9. Brennan, J., Broek, S., Durazzi, N., Kamphuis, B., Ranga, M., & Ryan, S. (2014). Study on innovation in higher education. Publications Office of the European Union, Luxembourg. ISBN 9789279350818
10. Camelo-Ordaz, C., Garcia-Cruz, J., Sousa-Ginel, E., & Valle-Cabrera, R. (2011). The influence of human resource management on knowledge sharing and innovation in Spain: the mediating role of affective commitment. The International Journal of Human Resourc
11. Camisón, C., & Forés, B. (2010). Knowledge absorptive capacity: New insights for its conceptualization and measurement. Journal of Business Research, 63(7), 707-715.
12. Camisón, C., & Villar López, A. (2010). An examination of the relationship between manufacturing flexibility and firm performance: The mediating role of innovation. International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 30(8), 853-878.
13. Castro, G. M. D., Delgado-Verde, M., Amores-Salvadó, J., & Navas-López, J. E. (2013). Linking human, technological, and relational assets to technological innovation: exploring a new approach. Knowledge Management Research & Practice, 11(2), 123-132.
14. Chen, C. J., Huang, J. W., & Hsiao, Y. C. (2010). Knowledge management and innovativeness: The role of organizational climate and structure. International Journal of Manpower, 31(8), 848-870.
15. Chen, C. J., Huang, J. W., & Hsiao, Y. C. (2010). Knowledge management and innovativeness: The role of organizational climate and structure. International Journal of Manpower, 31(8), 848-870.
16. Chen, Chung-Jen, & Huang, Jing-Wen (2009). Strategic human resource practices and innovation performance-The mediating role of knowledge management capacity. Journal of Business Research, 62, 104–114.
17. Chen, M. & Chen, A. (2005). Integrating option model and knowledge management performance measures: an empirical study. Journal of Information Science, 31 (5), 381-393.
18. Choi, B., Poon, S. K., & Davis, J. G. (2008). Effects of knowledge management strategy on organizational performance: A complementarity theory-based approach. Omega, 36(2), 235-251.
19. Chin Wei, C., Siong Choy, C., & Kuan Yew, W. (2009). Is the Malaysian telecommunication industry ready for knowledge management implementation?. Journal of knowledge management, 13(1), 69-87.
20. Cohen, W. M. (1983). Absorptive capacity: a new perspective on learning and innovation. Administrative Science Quarterly, 35, 147-160.
21. Daft, R. L., & Becker, S. W. 1978. The innovative organization. New York: Elsevier.
22. Damanpour, F. (1991). Organizational innovation: A meta-analysis of effects of determinants and moderators. Academy of management journal, 34(3), 555-590.
23. Damanpour, F., & Evan, W. M. (1984). Organizational innovation and performance: the problem of" organizational lag". Administrative science quarterly, 29, 392-409.
24. Damanpour, F., Walker, R. M., & Avellaneda, C. N. (2009). Combinative effects of innovation types and organizational performance: A longitudinal study of service organizations. Journal of management studies, 46(4), 650-675.
25. Damanpour, F. (1991). Organizational innovation: A meta-analysis of effects of determinants and moderators. Academy of management journal, 34(3), 555-590.
26. Darroch, J. (2003). Developing a measure of knowledge management behaviors and practices. Journal of Knowledge Management, 7 (5), 41-54.
27. Darroch, J., & McNaughton, R. (2002). Examining the link between knowledge management practices and types of innovation. Journal of Intellectual capital, 3(3), 210-222.
28. Demarest, M. (1997). Understanding knowledge management. Long range planning, 30(3), 374-384.
29. Denti, L., & Hemlin, S. (2012). Leadership and innovation in organizations: A systematic review of factors that mediate or moderate the relationship. International Journal of Innovation Management, 16(03), 1240007.
30. Raj Adhikari, D. (2010). Knowledge management in academic institutions. International Journal of Educational Management, 24(2), 94-104. doi: 10.1108/09513541011020918
31. Du Plessis, M. (2007). The role of knowledge management in innovation. Journal of Knowledge Management, 11(4), 20–29. http://doi.org/10.1108/13673270710762684
32. Evan, W. M. (1966). Organizational lag. Human Organizations, 25(Spring), 51-53.
33. Fornell, C., & Larcker, D. F. (1981). Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error. Journal of marketing research, 18(1), 39-50.
34. Fosfuri, A., & Tribó, J. A. (2008). Exploring the antecedents of potential absorptive capacity and its impact on innovation performance. Omega, 36(2), 173-187.
35. Gloet, M., & Terziovski, M. (2004). Exploring the relationship between knowledge management practices and innovation performance. Journal of manufacturing technology management, 15(5), 402-409.
36. Gray, C. (2006). Absorptive capacity, knowledge management and innovation in entrepreneurial small firms. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior & Research, 12(6), 345-360.
37. Harrington, D. (2009). Confirmatory Factor Analysis, Oxford University Press, New York, NY.
38. Inkinen, H. T., Kianto, A., & Vanhala, M. (2015). Knowledge management practices and innovation performance in Finland. Baltic Journal of Management, 10(4), 432-455.
39. Ho, C. T. (2009). The relationship between knowledge management enablers and performance. Industrial Management & Data Systems, 109(1), 98-117.
40. Jantunen, A. (2005). Knowledge-processing capabilities and innovative performance: An empirical study. European Journal of Innovation Management, 8(3), 336-349.
41. Kaba, A., & Ramaiah, C. K. (2017). Demographic differences in using knowledge creation tools among faculty members. Journal of Knowledge Management, 21(4), 857-871. https://doi.org/10.1108/JKM-09-2016-0379
42. Kidwell, J. J., Vander Linde, K., & Johnson, S. L. (2000). Applying corporate knowledge management practices in higher education. Educause quarterly, 23(4), 28-33.
43. Kimberly, J. R., & Evanisko, M. (1981). Organizational innovation: The influence of individual,organizational, and contextual factors on hospital adoption of technological and administrativeinnovations. Academy of Management Journal, 24, 689 - 713.
44. Knight, K. E. (1967). A descriptive model of the intra-firm innovation process. Journal of Business, 40, 478-496.
45. Kumar, N., Scheer, L., & Kotler, P. (2000). From market driven to market driving. European management journal, 18(2), 129-142.
46. Lawson, S. (2003). Examining the relationship between organization culture and KM. PhD thesis, Nova Southeastern University.
47. Lee, V. H., Leong, L. Y., Hew, T. S., & Ooi, K. B. (2013). Knowledge management: a key determinant in advancing technological innovation?. Journal of Knowledge Management, 17(6), 848-872.
48. Lee, V. H., Leong, L. Y., Hew, T. S., & Ooi, K. B. (2013). Knowledge management: a key determinant in advancing technological innovation?. Journal of Knowledge Management, 17(6), 848-872.
49. Liao, S. H., Fei, W. C., & Liu, C. T. (2008). Relationships between knowledge inertia, organizational learning and organization innovation. Technovation, 28(4), 183-195.
50. Lin, R. J., Che, R. H., & Ting, C. Y. (2012). Turning knowledge management into innovation in the high-tech industry. Industrial Management & Data Systems, 112(1), 42-63.
51. Madhavan, R., & Grover, R. (1998). From embedded knowledge to embodied knowledge: new product development as knowledge management. The Journal of marketing, 62(4), 1-12.
52. Majchrzak, A., Cooper, L. P., & Neece, O. E. (2004). Knowledge reuse for innovation. Management science, 50(2), 174-188.
53. Maponya, P. M. (2005). Knowledge management practices in academic libraries: a case study of the University of Natal, Pietermaritzburg Libraries (Doctoral dissertation, Loughborough University).
54. Martins, E. C., & Terblanche, F. (2003). Building organisational culture that stimulates creativity and innovation. European journal of innovation management, 6(1), 64-74.
55. Mathew, V. (2010, October). Knowledge management in higher education: Implementation agenda in distance learning. In Distance Learning and Education (ICDLE), 2010 4th International Conference on (pp. 155-158). IEEE.
56. Menor, L. J., Kristal, M. M., & Rosenzweig, E. D. (2007). Examining the influence of operational intellectual capital on capabilities and performance. Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, 9(4), 559-578.
57. Mikulecký, P., & Mikulecka, J. (1999, November). Active tools for better knowledge dissemination. In ASIS 1999 Annual Meeting(pp. 420-427). Washington DC.
58. Miller, W. (1999). Building the ultimate resource. Management review, 1(1), 42-45.
59. Molina‐Morales, F. X., & Martínez‐Fernández, M. T. (2010). Social networks: effects of social capital on firm innovation. Journal of Small Business Management, 48(2), 258-279.
60. Molina‐Morales, F. X., & Martínez‐Fernández, M. T. (2010). Social networks: effects of social capital on firm innovation. Journal of Small Business Management, 48(2), 258-279.
61. Moorman, C., & Miner, A. S. (1998). Organizational improvisation and organizational memory. Academy of management review, 23(4), 698-723.
62. Nilsook, P., & Sriwongkol, T. (2009, December). The Development of Multi-weblog with Knowledge Management for Thailand's Higher Education. In Information and Multimedia Technology, 2009. ICIMT'09. International Conference on (pp. 315-318). IEEE.
63. Nonaka, I., & Takeuchi, H. (1995). The Knowledge-creating company – How Japanese companies create the dynamics of innovation, New York: Oxford University Press.
64. Odumeru, J. A. (2013). Innovation and Organisational Performance. Kuwait Chapter of the Arabian Journal of Business and Management Review, 2(12), 18.
65. OECD. (2013). Innovative Learning Environments. OECD Publishing. Retrieved from http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/education/innovative-learning-environments_9789264203488-en
66. Serdyukov, P. (2017). Innovation in education: what works, what doesn’t, and what to do about it?. Journal of Research in Innovative Teaching & Learning, 10(1), 4-33. doi: 10.1108/ JRIT-10-2016-0007
67. Plessis, M. (2007). The role of knowledge management in innovation. Journal of Knowledge Management, 11(4), 20-29.
68. Rhodes, J., Hung, R., Lok, P., Ya-Hui Lien, B., & Wu, C. M. (2008). Factors influencing organizational knowledge transfer: implication for corporate performance. Journal of knowledge management, 12(3), 84-100.
69. Robbins, S.P. & Coulter, M. (2006). Management (9th edition). New York, Prentice Hall.
70. Roffe, I. (1999). Innovation and creativity in organisations: a review of the implications for training and development. Journal of European industrial training, 23(4/5), 224-241.
71. Rubera, G., & Kirca, A. H. (2012). Firm innovativeness and its performance outcomes: A meta-analytic review and theoretical integration. Journal of Marketing, 76(3), 130-147.
72. Schulz, M., & Jobe, L. A. (2001). Codification and tacitness as knowledge management strategies: an empirical exploration. The Journal of High Technology Management Research, 12(1), 139-165.
73. Schumacker, R.E., & Lomax, R.G. (1994). A Beginner's Guide to Structural Equation Modeling, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, NJ.
74. Seng, L. K., Yusof, N. A., & Abidin, N. Z. (2011). Types of Innovation Implemented by Housing Developer in Developing Countries. International Journal of Academic Research, 3(3). 614 – 618.
75. Subramaniam, M., & Youndt, M. A. (2005). The influence of intellectual capital on the types of innovative capabilities. Academy of Management journal, 48(3), 450-463.
76. Subramanian, A., & Nilakanta, S. (1996). Organizational innovativeness: Exploring the relationship between organizational determinants of innovation, types of innovations, and measures of organizational performance. Omega, 24(6), 631-647.
77. Tsai, W. (2001). Knowledge transfer in intra organizational networks: effects of network position and absorptive capacity on business unit innovation and performance. Academy of Management Journal, 44(5), 996-1004.
78. Turner, S. F., Bettis, R. A., & Burton, R. M. (2002). Exploring depth versus breadth in knowledge management strategies. Computational & Mathematical Organization Theory, 8(1), 49-73.
79. Ungerman, O., Dedkova, J., & Gurinova, K. (2018). The Impact of Marketing Innovation on the Competitiveness of the Enterprises in the Context of Industry 4.0. Journal of Competitiveness, 10(2), 132-148. https://doi.org/10.7441/joc.2018.02.09
80. United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (2005). National profile for the information society in Iraq, available at: www.escwa.un.org/wsis/reports/docs/ Iraq_2005 E.pdf (accessed 5 February 2016).
81. Urbancová, H. (2013). Competitive Advantage Achievement through Innovation and Knowledge. Journal of Competitiveness, 5(1), 82-96. https://doi.org/10.7441/joc.2013.01.06
82. Von Krogh, G. (1998). Care in knowledge creation. California management review, 40(3), 133-153.
83. Wang, D., & Chen, S. (2013). Does intellectual capital matter? High-performance work systems and bilateral innovative capabilities. International Journal of Manpower, 34(8), 861-879.
84. Wilson, J.P., & Cattel, A. (2005). Knowledge Management in Human Resource Development. Edited by Jhon. P.Wilson (2nd ed.) Kogan Page 2005.
85. Yahya, S., & Goh, W.K. (2002). Managing human resources toward achieving knowledge management. Journal of Knowledge Management, 6(5), 457-468.
86. Yamin, S., Mavondo, F., Gunasekaran, A., & Sarros, J. C. (1997). A study of competitive strategy, organisational innovation and organisational performance among Australian manufacturing companies. International Journal of Production Economics, 52(1-2), 16
87. Zahra, S. A., & Covin, J. G. (1995). Contextual influences on the corporate entrepreneurship-performance relationship: A longitudinal analysis. Journal of business venturing, 10(1), 43-58.
88. Zahra, S. A., & George, G. (2002). Absorptive capacity: A review, reconceptualization, and extension. Academy of management review, 27(2), 185-203.
89. Zheng, W. (2010). A social capital perspective of innovation from individuals to nations: where is empirical literature directing us?. International Journal of Management Reviews, 12(2), 151-183.